From the Blogosphere
What Does Obama Revolution Mean to Cloud Computing?
Obama's technology blueprint, if implemented as promised, bodes well for the future of Cloud Computing.
Nov. 10, 2008 01:00 PM
The "CloudAve" Blog
The technology blueprint of President Elect Barack Obama, if implemented as promised, bodes well for the future of Cloud Computing.
Let me consider some of the Barack Obama's Technology proposals and explain how it is relevant to the success of Cloud Computing.
His proposals include
- Protecting the openness of Internet: In other words, supporting net neutrality. This is crucial for innovation in the field of Cloud Computing and it is also very important for ensuring vendor diversity. In the absence of net neutrality, big vendors can easily crush smaller players and establish monopoly in the Cloud Computing marketplace including the SaaS marketplace.
- Safeguarding our right to Privacy: One of the biggest concerns for consumers and businesses when it comes to Cloud Computing is the issue of Privacy. They are worried that their data will not be safe in the hands of Cloud vendors, government might use the subpoena power to confiscate user's data, etc.. By safeguarding our right to Privacy, Barack Obama's administration can help remove this concern in the minds of users regarding putting their data on the Clouds. Stronger regulations to protect the privacy of users data will help develop the trust we need in the Cloud Computing marketplace.
- Opening up government to its citizens and bringing the government to 21st century: In other words, this can also be construed as moving the government to the Clouds. By moving important public government data to the Cloud, it is possible to provide a more transparent form of government. This also helps in promoting a much wider adoption of Cloud Computing. If government can trust the Cloud and put sensitive data on it, why not consumers, small businesses and enterprises?
- Deploy next generation broadband and extend it to every single American including those who live in rural areas: One of the important requirement for the success of Cloud Computing is the ubiquitous availability of broadband. If broadband is available everywhere in the country and if the providers are encouraged to offer much higher speeds with superior technologies, it is very easy for users to put their data in the Cloud and use the SaaS apps from any part of the country. This will greatly enhance the adoption of Cloud Computing.
- Broad adoption of standards based health record systems: This is nothing but a healthcare SaaS system. Companies like Google and Microsoft are already pushing such apps to the users. If the insurance companies and healthcare providers come on board and help put patients data on the Cloud, the way we do healthcare will change forever. It will help us get better healthcare as our data will always be accessible from anywhere in the country at anytime.
- Climate friendly energy development and deployment: This will help drive the datacenter costs down. A cheaper and climate friendly energy implies lower cost of deployment of cloud computing infrastructure. A lower cost of infrastructure means a much higher savings for the customers of Cloud Computing technologies. This also means a wider adoption of Cloud Computing in this country.
The technology policies promised by Barack Obama bodes well for the future of Cloud Computing. It will help in a wider adoption of Cloud Computing technologies by users. As it is the case with any politician, we have to wait and see how effectively these policies are implemented.
PS: This is not a political post but rather an analysis of President Elect Barack Obama's policies and how it might help Cloud Computing. Please feel free to discuss the policies instead of politics in the comments.
[This post appeared originally here and is republished in full by kind permission of the author, Krishnan Subramanian, who is Lead Writer at CloudAve.com.]
Attribution to http://www.cloudave.com
Reader Feedback: Page 1 of 1
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Today, we have more data to manage than ever. We also have better algorithms that help us access our...
Jun. 20, 2018 11:15 AM EDT
Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, is an accomplished digital business executive with e...
Jun. 20, 2018 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,220
Bill Schmarzo, author of "Big Data: Understanding How Data Powers Big Business" and "Big Data MBA: D...
Jun. 20, 2018 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,508
DevOpsSummit New York 2018, colocated with CloudEXPO | DXWorldEXPO New York 2018 will be held Novemb...
Jun. 20, 2018 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,639
DXWorldEXPO LLC announced today that ICOHOLDER named "Media Sponsor" of Miami Blockchain Event by Fi...
Jun. 20, 2018 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,941
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, taking place November 12-13 in New York City, NY, is co-located with 22...
Jun. 20, 2018 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,006
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Global Network has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @...
Jun. 20, 2018 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,934
To Really Work for Enterprises, MultiCloud Adoption Requires Far Better and Inclusive Cloud Monitori...
Jun. 20, 2018 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,210
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news an...
Jun. 20, 2018 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,684
CloudEXPO New York 2018, colocated with DXWorldEXPO New York 2018 will be held November 11-13, 2018,...
Jun. 20, 2018 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,779
DXWorldEXPO | CloudEXPO are the world's most influential, independent events where Cloud Computing w...
Jun. 20, 2018 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,264
Disruption, Innovation, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Leadership and Management hear...
Jun. 20, 2018 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,527
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run ana...
Jun. 20, 2018 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 15,558
DXWorldEXPO LLC announced today that Telecom Reseller has been named "Media Sponsor" of CloudEXPO | ...
Jun. 20, 2018 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,963
Enterprises are striving to become digital businesses for differentiated innovation and customer-cen...
Jun. 20, 2018 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,576
Enterprise architects are increasingly adopting multi-cloud strategies as they seek to utilize exist...
Jun. 20, 2018 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,448
Digital Transformation: Preparing Cloud & IoT Security for the Age of Artificial Intelligence. As au...
Jun. 20, 2018 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,941
"Calligo is a cloud service provider with data privacy at the heart of what we do. We are a typical ...
Jun. 20, 2018 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,149
We are seeing a major migration of enterprises applications to the cloud. As cloud and business use ...
Jun. 19, 2018 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,223
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud,...
Jun. 19, 2018 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 7,276