Eucalyptus Systems CTO to Speak at 1st Annual GovIT Expo
Rich Wolski will discuss how to implement IaaS-style cloud computing using an open source software infrastructure
Sep. 16, 2009 12:00 PM
"The goal of Eucalyptus is to allow sites with existing clusters and server infrastructure to host an elastic computing service that is interface-compatible with Amazon's AWS, but can also support multiple interfaces such as Google's AppEngine and the Sun Cloud open API," says Dr Rich Wolski, Co-Founder & CTO of Eucalyptus Systems, who will be giving a breakout session on the Eucalyptus open source software infrastructure at SYS-CON's 1st Annual Government IT Conference & Expo (GovITExpo), which will take place on October 6, 2009, at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
Wolski's session will focus on specific features of the system that are designed to enable rapid development, prototyping, and deployment of local computing clouds, particularly for debugging and/or application development purposes. He will discuss our experiences in building and supporting open source cloud infrastructure and point to potential future directions that he believes will enable greater innovation.
About the Speaker:
In addition to being CTO at Eucalyptus Wolski is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). Having received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California at Davis (while a researcher at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory) he has also held positions at the University of California, San Diego, and the University of Tennessee. He is currently also a strategic advisor to the San Diego Supercomputer Center and an adjunct faculty member at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He has led several national scale research efforts in the area of high-performance distributed computing and grid computing, is the author of numerous research articles concerning the empirical study of distributed systems, and is the progenitor of the Eucalyptus project.
About 1st Annual Government IT Conference & Expo
Government IT Conference & Expo (GovITExpo.com), which is being held October 6, 2009 in Washington, DC, builds on the success of SYS-CON's Cloud Computing Expo, the fastest-growing conference anywhere in the world devoted to the delivery of massively scalable IT as a service using Internet technologies. Agency CIOs and CTOs need the flexibility to choose the best tools to accomplish their mission regardless of platform. Cloud computing, virtualization, SOA, security and compliance are among the major themes of the technical program.
October 6 Keynote from the Deputy CIO of the CIA
The Opening Keynote at the 1st GovIT Expo is being given by Jill Tummler Singer, Deputy Chief Information Officer at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). It is titled "Enterprise Cloud Computing - The Infrastructure’s Ultimate Revenge."
With GovITExpo we widen and broaden our reach to embrace those who are bringing technology into the Federal domain. This high-energy event is a must-attend for senior technologists involved in Government IT at every level including CIOs, CTOs, directors of infrastructure, VPs of technology, IT directors and managers, network and storage managers, network engineers, enterprise architects, and communications and networking specialists.
There are breakout sessions on the security issues that are unique to the Cloud, such as the crucial distinction between Private and Public clouds. Expert speakers from government and the software industry alike will be looking at issues such as the requirements for how companies can handle government information and how information can be most successfully shared by multiple clouds.
Doing more with less is the new reality for most IT departments, and the Government is no exception. So the cost-effectiveness of technologies such as Virtualization are also foremost on the agenda, which you can view by clicking on the middle link below:
Register Today and Save !
View Full Conference Schedule
Sponsor and/or Exhibit at GovIT Expo
The GovIT Expo Speaker Faculty include recognized government, industry, and academic leaders experienced in building and managing software applications:
The Growth of Government Clouds
Scott Ryan - CEO, Asankya
– In this session delegates will learn about the technology behind cloud acceleration and the methods to deployment within the federal space.
Authoritative Decision-Making Information via SOA and Governance
Mark Krzysko - Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, US Department of Defense
– This session is a case Study on the effort to combine Departmental and data governance with SOA to improve the timeliness and authoritativeness of critical program oversight data,
Un-Clouding FISMA Security Compliance
Eric Greenberg - VP of Security & Risk Solutions, Integralis
– This session will clear up FISMA security compliance misconceptions and obstacles to cloud computing and will offer participants strategies for synching their FISMA compliance framework to the cloud.
Managing the Transition to Net-centricity with Open Source SOA Road Maps
Robert J. Williams Jr - Chief Enterprise Architect, Maxworks
– This session will introduce Open Source SOA Roadmaps, a SOA governance stone that kills two birds - spaghetti enterprise architectures and endless middleware license fees.
IT Baselining: The Foundation of Effective IT Compliance
Walker White - VP of Technology, BDNA
– This session will discuss strategies and practices for successful IT baselining and show how government agencies have addressed IT compliance in effective ways.
Tactical Cloud Computing
Kevin L. Jackson - Director Business Development, Dataline
– This session will explore how defense, homeland security and law enforcement organizations are looking to leverage the new and exciting IT capability we call Cloud Computing.
Cloud Computing & Federal IT - What Does the Future Hold?
Bob Gourley - Founder & CTO, Crucial Point and former CTO of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA)
– In this wide-ranging Power Panel,the discussion will match emerging federal cloud computing requirements against emerging capabilities from cloud providers to reveal the likely course of action for federal decision makers.
SOA - The Delicate Balancing Act
JP Morgenthal - Sr. Principal Analyst, QinetiQ North America
– In this session delegates will be presented with use cases that illustrate key forks in the road for an SOA project and the impacts of taking each fork.
Protect Your Government Agency with Backend IT Controls
Philip Lieberman - Founder & President, Lieberman Software
– This session will discuss how government IT departments can establish the key elements of the security foundation with minimal disruption to the computing infrastructure, by addressing critical security issues.
The Open Source Infrastructure for Cloud Computing
Dr. Rich Wolski - CTO & Co-Founder, Eucalyptus Systems
– In this session Rich Wolski will present Eucalyptus - Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs to Useful Systems - an open source software infrastructure that implements IaaS-style cloud computing.
Slicing and Dicing: Virtualization Technologies for Cloud Computing
Dr Harry Foxwell - Chief Technologist, Sun Microsystems Federal
– In this session, co-presented with John DiCarlo,, the speakers will review and discuss the benefits and trade-offs of applying the various virtualization techniques within the cloud.
Trusted Identities Realization for Government
Naval Khosla - Program Manager for Government Industry Solutions, IBM
– Threat and fraud are still at the forefront of Government homeland security, services and benefits efforts. This session will be a an exploration of the IBM initiative for Trusted Identities Realization for Government.
Slicing and Dicing: Virtualization Technologies for Cloud Computing
John DiCarlo - Chief Technologist, Cloud Computing and Servers, Sun Microsystems Federal
– In this session, co-presented with Harry Foxwell, the speakers will review and discuss the benefits and trade-offs of applying the various virtualization techniques within the cloud.
SOA and Cloud: Achieving the Agility Double Play
Eric Marks - Founder, President & CEO, AgilePath
– This session will present SOA and Cloud patterns that show the linkages of SOA to Cloud, and how to accelerate from SOA into Cloud.
Accessing Public Data via the Cloud
Omer Trajman - Director, Cloud & Virtualization, Vertica
– This session will demonstrate how government organizations can offer public data sets cost effectively yet create tremendous impact in the private sector.
Strategy Considerations for Collaboration in the Cloud
Ross Chevalier - President, Novell Canada
– This session will discuss best practices for implementing a secure on-premise and cloud deployment mix, challenges organizations should anticipate when shifting to the cloud.
Cloud Standards: Steady Growth or Moving Target?
Kyle Gabhart - SOA Solutions Director, Web Age Solutions
– This session will explore the subject of Cloud Standards. Do they exist? Can we trust them? Are we building our enterprise solutions on mere vapors?
What's Missing in VDI-Based Disaster Recovery?
Paul Hahn - Director of Technical Solutions, Tranxition
– In this session, GovIT Expo delegates will learn about emerging technologies and best practices for managing users' personalized environments when VDI is used for continuing operations.